Pages

Monday, June 15, 2009

Reading my book

Here I am at work and in between helping people, I have my book on my screen and I'm reading it. I ran spell check and grammar check first and can I just say that the Microsoft Word grammar check is totally off? That grammar check doesn't take the rest of the sentence or paragraph into consideration. I rarely use that grammar check for that reason. If I changed all the things it suggested, then nothing would make sense at all.

However, it did point out a few obvious errors where an extra word wasn't needed. So for that, I'm thankful. I do find it surprising that after I had proof read my book myself several times last year, that are still mistakes. I haven't touched my book since probably January or March of 2008 but I did that on purpose. It is often helpful to leave a work in progress alone for a while and then come back to it with a fresh mind.

So, I begin a new and will read my book again and see what happens. According to the Word program, I have a bit over 62,000 words in my file and it is 281 pages long with 1 inch margins on top & bottom with 1.25 inch margins on the sides and double spaced lines. The Writer's Market book suggests one and half inch margins all the way around but I think that's just a waste of space. Besides, I believe it all depends on what the publisher wants.

Whenever I write, I often wish I had a laptop of my own so that I could read my book, write and create where ever I am. While I do have laptop, it's not technically mine. It belongs to my company, a work laptop. So if I were to get a laptop, I'd consider getting a netbook or a mini. That way, I could carry it everywhere and with the size of the tiny laptops today, It would be like carrying a note pad. I do have my book printed out on regular paper and could always carry that with me, but since it's 281 pages, it would be a hefty thing to carry around. Not to mention a pain in the butt to edit on paper first and then edit it again on the computer.

For now, I carry my book on a 2gb flash drive that I plug into the work computer and then copy the book on to my home computer as a backup. So I may do some research on netbooks. I really only need something that can run a word processing program and a long battery life would be nice too. Perhaps I'll see if any other writers out there have used a netbook of some kind and have suggestions. Of course, price will probably be the deciding factor for me.

Now to get back to work. Until later, Thanks for reading!

No comments: