Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

An Exercise in Calmness

When I was trying to get to sleep last night, a thousand thoughts started running through my head.  So I did a little exercise to calm my thoughts and it worked.   Then I started to thinking and wondering if anybody else had their own exercise to calm themselves (and I had to do the exercise again lol).   When your emotions are at their strongest and you don't want them, or when you have way too many thoughts going through your head, or you're stressed or for any reason at all, what do you do to calm yourself?   Or maybe you just need to clear your mind so you can focus on something.
 
Maybe you don't know how or never tried it before but I thought I'd list what I do.   Picture in your mind, something that can calm you.   It can be a person, a pet, a happy place (yea, you know about happy places) or even a thing.  If you picture a place, make sure you are alone or no conversation is happening to distract you.  Let's say it's the beach.  Imagine you are sitting on the beach on a clear comfortable day. You can feel the sand beneath you and you gaze out at the ocean, watching and listening to the waves as they roll in.   No people, no thoughts, just focus on that image.  For me, I just imagine a thing.   I picture a blank piece of paper or even a book of blank pages.  Maybe I chose this because I'm writer, who knows. 
 
Only Focus on that image and push out all other thoughts,  and just breath.  I don't care what pops into your head, push it out and focus on your image. Do this until you just have your image and no other thoughts are drifting in.  If you don't get distracted, you may find a new calmness within.   Some people may calm themselves just by taking a few deep breaths.  Well, congrats for them but it doesn't always work for everybody. 
 
I do this almost every night and sometimes during the day.  I may start doing it more often during the day just to see if I can lower my blood pressure. lol  Yes, I know you people think I'm already nuts but humor me and just try it.  Let me know how it goes. 

No comments: