Pages

Friday, June 26, 2015

The Next Step & ramblings

I need to contact a few book cover designers and at least get some quotes. But I'm hesitant to do anything because of money.   While I know I have the money in the account, that money could be used for other much needed things.  I need new glasses and to get my eyes checked. I need my bottom teeth worked on which is going to cost a shitload.  I just need too many things.   It sucks.  
I have a couple websites saved that list the steps of self publishing a book.  They have helped me a lot so far.  However, the links mostly talk about ebooks and while that's good, I want to do both.  I want to publish an ebook but I also want a paper back book that I can hold in my hands.  I'll probably use create space for that part.  So I need a step by step guide that says what to do when doing both ebook and paper back.   Actually, I want somebody to hold my hand and dummy it all down for me. lol   
I work full time, 45 hours a week. I don't have kids and I'm single which means I have a lot of free time to do everything that's needed.  However, I also have health issues that limit what I can do.  You try working full time, writing books and doing this publishing stuff when you're too tired to do anything and just want to sit and stare.  It's not easy but I'm doing it.
I'm going the self publishing route for the following reasons:
  1. I don't have put up with rejection letters from agents or publishers who think I'm crap
  2. I don't have deadlines where I have to have something done by a certain date.  I follow my own schedule and do what I can, when I can.
  3. I control what my books say and how they go.  I know some editors and publishers want more details, cut down on details, change this, change that.   ummm.... No.  I have my book the way I want it.
  4. I'm new at all this stuff and while I may have more to do by doing this, I have more control.
  5. I'm tired.  I can't think of any more reasons but you know what? That's okay because it's my decision. 
I guess I typed out the list to remind myself that any pressure I feel is my own doing.  I don't have a schedule to keep.  Do I want my book published in the next month?  Hell, yes!!   If it doesn't happen yet and gets pushed to later this year, that's ok.  My book.  My timeline.

No comments: