Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Genre for my book

Smiley from millan.net I need to figure out what genre my book is. Does it fall under Paranormal Romance or is it Fantasy? I know some people might say that it doesn't matter but it does. If I submit my book to a publisher who takes only Fantasy books and my book turns out to be Paranormal Romance, then that could be a problem.

Also, it seems that each genre has a different word count requirement. Right now, my book has almost 62,500 words. Word Count and books is a confusing subject. Some websites say that 75,000 is average. While others say that 90,000 is average. It seems that the best advice I've read is to find some books of the same genre and get an estimated word count from them.

That brings me back to finding out what genre my book is. Of course, I think an agent would help me figure that out but I'd like to know what genre my book is before I approach an agent. I don't want to look like some dolt who has no clue about anything. I would like to at least give the appearance of intelligence.
Smiley from millan.net

Maybe I need to find some sort of definitions of the genres. I think that would help. If you folks have any ideas, please let me know!

No comments: