Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Footsteps outside my door (A True Story)

I'm sitting here reading, tv is muted, so no sound in the apartment. Pipsqueek went to the patio door and cried.

I said, "what's your problem?"

He was quiet but staring out the door into the night. Then I heard it. The sounds of footsteps on rocks. Outside my patio, the bushes are surrounded by rocks. I started to get nervous but the footsteps soon faded away.

"whew.". A sigh of relief.

Relief was only temporary as the footsteps came back. I stood up and retrieved my sturdy cane, only weapon I have. I checked all the doors, made sure they were locked. I went over to my desk, had a cigarette and picked up the phone to call the police. Phone in hand, I went back to my recliner as I could only hear the footsteps there.

The crunching footsteps on rocks returned. It sounded like somebody pacing outside my patio. My imagination went into overdrive as I realized a person could easily leap over the railing and break in. I held my breath and waited for something to happen.

Silence returned and I figured it was just somebody out for a walk, walking their dog or something. Wait! what's that sound? Oh my god, they're still out there!

Now I was angry. I grabbed my flashlight, walked over to the patio door where pipsqueek was still watching the stranger. I flipped on the patio light and stared, waiting for the person to make themselves known. I didn't have to wait long. There it was, the sound I was dreading and I could now see the source. It was....

It was too damn funny, that's what it was. A piece of packing paper about three feet long was making sounds as the wind blew it across the cement of my patio. Geez.... Attack of the evil paper.
Beware the packing paper!!

I already shared this on facebook but it was such a good and funny story, I had to tell it here too.

No comments: